By: Jennifer Perry
For: Red Rock News
Date: September 19, 2014
Your Library Card: The Most Valuable Card in Your Wallet
Today’s dollar does not seem to get us as far as it used to, and most of us are continually keeping an eye out for sales, coupons, and other ways to stretch our hard-earned money. In this week’s column, we would like to remind you of one of the most valuable cards in your wallet: your Sedona Public Library card!
September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a time when Sedona Public Library joins with the American Library Association and public libraries nationwide to encourage everyone to access the free services available at their local library. At Sedona Public Library, resources available exclusively to cardholders include:
- Access to over one million items through the Yavapai County Library Network, including the latest releases in books, DVDs, and audiobooks. You can request items from the more than 40 libraries in the county network and have them delivered to the library of your choice, including our Sedona and Village of Oak Creek locations.
- Access to materials from thousands of libraries nationwide through interlibrary loan.
- E-books and digital magazines.
- E-readers available for loan.
- Online learning tools, including foreign language classes, test preparation, tutoring, and continuing education classes.
- Research databases, including business and grantmaker directories, and tools for legal, consumer, and genealogical research.
Additionally, the Library provides these services to all residents and visitors:
- Free Wi-Fi and use of computers for Internet, e-mail, research, and word processing.
- Computer station dedicated to job searching and professional development services.
- Free movie night.
- Early childhood learning stations for pre-schoolers.
- Youth services programming, including: story time, home school networking group, sing and sign classes, summer reading, tutoring, chess club, and more.
- Meeting rooms available at no charge to nonprofit organizations and for rent for commercial programs.
- Programs and workshops including musical concerts, guest speakers, health screenings, language classes, digital learning classes, and more.
- Magazines and newspapers.
In honor of Library Card Sign-up Month, we invite you to use your card at the main library in West Sedona or at Sedona Library in the Village. Don’t have a card? Getting one is free and easy at either location. For hours and directions, call 928-282-7714 or visit our website at www.sedonalibrary.org.
Sedona Public Library is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. The land on which our beautiful library sits was donated, and the library building was constructed with private funds and is entirely debt-free. Donations and grants allow us to continue to offer free and innovative services to residents and visitors. Your tax-deductible donation may be sent to: Sedona Public Library, 3250 White Bear Road, Sedona, AZ 86336.
Library News appears each Friday in the Red Rock News and is also presented on Sedona Biz.
Jennifer Perry is the Development Director for Sedona Public Library.